Thursday 14 February 2008

Austin

So tonight is my last night in Austin. It’s such a fucking cool city. On Sunday we went to see of the sweetest bands in the States right now; Dead Meadow and Black Mountain. They play Led Zepy, stoner rock. It was absolutely superb, best show I’ve seen for some time. Helped that the beers were $1, mind.

Austin has the beauty of being one of those ‘not-to-big/not-to-small’ towns, similar to Oxford. It’s also so laid back; everyone smoking up, everyone knocking back a bevvie. The negative is the shit-load of hobos that populate the streets, begging for money. I think most of them had probably come here back in the day, thought “this is cool as fuck, I'm gonna living here”, then struggled to make any money with their art/music.

The river that runs through the town is also pretty sweet. Today I walked for miles up the river (they call it a ‘lake’ though, which is kinda confusing) then went to The Best Record Store In The World, Waterloo Records. It’s huge, and today they had a bland singer-songwriter playing poor mans Jack Johnson rip offs. I would have left (it really was shitty) but then I turn round and they are cracking open a keg and giving it to everyone for free! Result.

I think Lost is on in a minute.

With tonight being my last night, I’m gonna get on the bevies tonight with some of the friends of the guy I’m staying with. He’s called Jeff, and is a friend of this New Zealand guy I had the displeasure (jokes) of hanging out with in Chicago & New York. Kinda random linkage but I guess this is what traveling (that term is so gay) is all about.

I think I might apply for South By South West tickets. After being in this town for a few days and seeing the venues that will house bands, I think it’s too good to miss.

Flying to San Diego tomorrow.

1 comment:

jack said...

lomax! it's jack from lord bill's. make sure you get tickets for sxsw. i think it was the best week of my life last year.

i'm in seattle at the moment. how long are you travelling for? i'm touring across most of america in april and may. you should jump on the bus for a few days!

hope you're well
x