Wednesday 20 February 2008

San Diego

It seems every new city I visit I start to think "This is my favourite city". First New York, then Austin, then San Diego. SD (to the locals) is totally amazing. On the east side you have the 'suits' side. Loads of bars and clubs, pretty expensive but bloody lively. Then a short bus ride away on the east side, you have the 'stoners'. The beach, bohemian vibe. Lots of guitars, spliffs and surfboards. Whether you wanna party all night on the WKDs or kick back with a bifta, San Diego has both bases covered, with a massive fuck off airport in the middle.

So after remembering my flight (this time) to San Diego, I landed on Friday night, went for a couple of beers then zonked out. Something about flying really takes it out of me. Either that or I'm just lame. On Saturday I ventured around, scoping out the city. I walked from my hostel in Downtown east side, all the way around the harbour, up and over the hills and eventually got to the seaside. Bare, bare walks. On Sunday I did the sensible think of getting the bus to the beach. Fuck walking again. The beach was pretty busy, although it was to cold to go for a paddle.

The following day I wondered around most of the east side, checked out a couple of (shitty) record stores and checked out Balboa Park; a huge park with Musuems, trees and all the usual stuff you'd associate with parks (dogs and dog shit). The Casbah (SD's finest music venue) was my home for the evening. There was a cool band opening, kinda mathy-meets-Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I chatted to the guitarist after and got free beer tokens. Result. The main band were called Chow Nasty. They couldn't have been any more like the Rapture. In fact, if The Rapture had decided to turn up and play a set after, I think you'd struggle to differentiate between the two. They were fun. They gave out instruments and ran around the venue. 'Crazy'.

NOW, I'm in LA. Went to see The Hives last night. They were really good, but played too much new stuff and not enough punky-stuff-from-back-in-the-day. Going to Santa Monica to stay by the beach tommorow. Got two nights there, with Liars playing on Friday. The West Ham game is being shown at a local English Pub at 7am. I will, of course, have a pint in hand. Speak to me on Facebook or some shit. I wanna know what people are up to.

No comments: